Kyung Sam Shinn
Sam’s practice focuses on corporate and business planning, real estate, employment and immigration. She is an active member of the Korean Community and has been instrumental in advising many Korean businesses and U.S. branches of Korean-based companies. Sam speaks fluent Korean and English. Prior to joining the firm, she spent two years working in the Seoul, Korea office of Salomon Smith Barney.
J.D., University of Oregon, 1999
B.A. and MA, Chung Ang University, 1990 and 1992 respectively
United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- Facilitating and assisting a client who granted a license to a Korean joint venture, which venture included interests of a major Korean Jaebul corporation. The project included helping the client understand foreign investment issues and related Korean laws and facilitating all documentation requirements and filings through association with a major Korean law firm.
- Acting as general counsel to a privately-held Korean computer hardware corporation, advising on lease issues, employment matters, tax issues, estate planning for corporate officers, and general business matters.
- Acting as a general counsel to a multi-national corporation in the wireless industry, advising on lease issues, employment matters, immigration matters and general business matters.
- Sam advises PRK clients on various immigration matters including securing nonimmigrant (temporary) visas, e.g., H1B for professionals, L-1 for intracompany transferees, and E-2 for treaty investors, and obtaining employment-based immigrant visas with or without labor certification; the firm also provides assistance with the technical (I-9) requirements of employers hiring immigrants, consulting with clients on the establishment of personnel procedures and manuals and, when appropriate, in regularizing the status of foreign employees.
Professional & Civic Involvement:
- Korean-American Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Oregon Bar Association