Partner David Seeley’s practice is somewhat unique as he practices in a wide variety of areas, including school law, commercial litigation, criminal law, and business law.
David advises and defends public school districts on a broad range of legal issues with a particular emphasis on employment matters, employee and union grievances, collective bargaining agreement interpretation, student discipline, volunteer programs, and general issues involving students and parents that impact the day-to-day operation of schools. Together with other firm attorneys, he represents two major school districts.
David’s commercial litigation practice is focused on contract disputes, insurance issues, and general counsel work. He also represents clients in personal injury cases in which severe injuries have been sustained.
Prior to entering private practice, David served as the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for Clark County, Washington for ten years, where he was involved in more than 150 criminal jury trials. As a deputy prosecuting attorney, he handled several high profile murder cases, and a variety of other major serious violent felony prosecutions. David also spent two years working in the Child Abuse Intervention Center. His current criminal defense practice is devoted to defending clients charged with all levels of crimes throughout the Puget Sound area.
David also provides general legal counsel to business clients concerning corporate, real estate, transactional, and governance issues.
Additionally, he acted as general counsel for Marlon Brando from 2000 to 2004. Since Mr. Brando’s death in July of 2004, David has acted as general counsel to Brando Enterprises (formally, The Marlon Brando Living Trust). He frequently travels to French Polynesia to help manage Brando Enterprises’ interests in Tetiaroa, a privately held atoll.
When not practicing law, David can be found golfing, traveling, or participating in outdoor recreational activities. David also spends much of his free time with his wife and two adult children or working on behalf of Tetiaroa Society, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of Tetiaroa.
- General Counsel to Marlon Brando (2000 – 2004)
- General Counsel for Brando Enterprises (2004 to present)
- Founding member of Tetiaroa Society, a United States nonprofit entity whose mission is to protect Tetiaroa
- President of S.A. Frangipani Unlimited, a French Polynesia corporation
- Frequently meets with high ranking French Polynesian government officials including the president of the country regarding the future of Tetiaroa
- Currently working towards having Tetiaroa classified as a protected area
- Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the murder case of State v. Dennis Keith Smith, which was featured on the television show Unsolved Mysteries and Court TV’s Forensic Detectives
- Lake Washington School District’s “Employee Expectations” video presentation. David has been involved in the development of the program since its inception, and is the featured speaker. This video is shown yearly to all employees of the District.
- Frequent speaker at school district staff training events.
- Frequent speaker at local high schools and universities regarding the law in general and the impact criminal charges can have on the students’ futures.