David B. JohnstonPartner
- P: 425-326-4143
- email | | vCard | PDF
- Paralegal - Tami Snow x9879
- Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights
- Business Law
- Construction Law
- Land Use & Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Transactions
- Secured Transactions
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales
- Real Estate Leasing
David Johnston’s practice focuses primarily on real estate transactions, secured transactions, creditor rights, contracts, and serving in a general counsel role to closely-held businesses. In addition to his transaction practice, David also advises clients on real estate and commercial disputes. His extensive litigation experience greatly benefits his real estate transactions clients when dispute resolution issues arise.
Real Estate Counsel and Transactions
David’s real estate clients include national and regional developers and builders, school and hospital districts, commercial landlords and tenants, and real estate buyers and sellers. He represents clients in real estate acquisitions and sales, commercial leasing and subleasing matters, easement issues, due diligence investigations, secured financing transactions involving banks and private lenders, and land use matters.
Besides drafting purchase and sale agreements, leases and easements, David often works with brokers and other professionals through the process of land transactions. He is recognized for providing practical advice on business deals, gathering due diligence intelligence, and for his pragmatic approach overall.
Real Estate External General Counsel, Dispute Resolution, and Litigation
David frequently assists his real estate clients in a variety of legal matters related to their businesses, including contract representation and commercial litigation. When disputes arise, he works closely with clients to resolve issues rather than pushing litigation. If an acceptable resolution cannot be achieved, David is capable and prepared to represent clients in mediation, arbitration, litigation, and through trial when needed. He has extensive trial experience in real estate, construction, and a wide range of business issues.
David and his wife live in Snohomish, Washington. Outside of the office, David enjoys an active lifestyle and all that the Pacific Northwest offers. This includes skiing, biking, hiking, maintaining his rural property, and traveling whenever time allows.
- Represented landowners in negotiating, documenting and closing complex vacant land transaction in excess of $20.0 million with national builder
- Comprehensive representation of school district in review of potential school sites and the negotiation, due diligence review and closing of transactions
- Represented health care client in developing and leasing substantial stand-alone clinics
- Represented property owner in negotiating and drafting long-term ground lease with national retail tenant
- Retained as local real estate counsel for national, publicly-held developer and builder
- Represented tenant franchisee in leasing multiple retail locations
- Represented property owners in the negotiation and documentation of commercial real estate loans
David is a frequent presenter and author on a variety of legal topics relating to the work he his various practice areas of emphasis.