John F. Sherwood, Jr.Partner
- P: 425.990.4029
- email | | vCard | PDF
- Paralegal - Lee Cowan x4005
- Business Law
- Estate Planning & Probate
- Land Use & Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
- Business Planning
- Trust and Guardianship Administration
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales
- Real Estate Leasing
John Sherwood’s practice focuses on real estate, estate planning, probate, trust, business planning, and tax law. He advises clients on estate planning matters, including family business planning; commercial and residential real estate transactions and litigation; business transactions; business planning; probate and trust administration and disputes.
John’s real estate practice includes virtually all issues developers, landlords, tenants, and others in the real estate market face. This includes purchases and sales of commercial real estate, commercial leasing, land use matters (such as easements, restrictions, and covenants and conditions), and homeowner association (HOA) formation and disputes. He regularly represents high net worth clients, commercial landlords and tenants, in connection with large commercial leasing projects for both retail and office space. He also represents landlords and tenants in connection with leasing and subsequent lease administrative matters.
Estate Planning and Probate
John represents a wide range of clients from those with modest net worth to those having a net worth of $10 million and more. He often assists clients in developing estate plans during family transitions that involve a change in the family dynamic. This includes the arrival of a first child, through biological birth or adoption, and a death in the family.
For higher net worth clients who are likely to have taxable estates, John helps clients create tax-advantaged estate plans, which can include establishing family trusts, A/B trusts, irrevocable and remainder trusts, and lifetime gifts.
John additionally helps administrators in estate probates. In this capacity, John provides counsel and advice to administrators, he prepares court filings, and assists with asset transfers including helping administrators reach agreement with beneficiaries (when necessary).
- Represented property owners and tenants in commercial, retail, warehouse and office lease agreements
- Represented national tenant in leasing multiple retail locations
- Represented landowners in negotiating, documenting and closing construction loan and construction documents in excess of $50.0 million for mixed use development
- Represented landowners and buyers in negotiating, documenting and closing complex land transaction in excess of $20.0 million with national REITs
- Author, “Residential Real Estate – New landlords can avert disputes by knowing rules,” PSBJ, 2006
- Co-author, “Estate Planning for the Small Business Owner,” WSBA, 2003
- Author, “Death and the Real Estate Transaction,” Broker Agent Magazine, 2003
- Co-Author, “Estate and Gift Taxes and the Marital Deduction Planning,” WSBA, 2001