Firm partner John Sherwood’s practice is focused on real estate, estate planning, probate, trust, business planning, and tax law. He advises clients on estate planning matters, including family business planning; commercial and residential real estate transactions and litigation; business transactions; business planning; and probate and trust administration and disputes.
John’s real estate practice includes virtually all types of matters faced by developers, landlords, tenants, and others in the real estate market, including purchases and sales of commercial real estate, commercial leasing, land use matters (such as easements, restrictions, and covenants and conditions), and homeowner association (HOA) formation and disputes. He often represents high net worth clients and commercial landlords and tenants in connection with large commercial leasing projects for both commercial retail and office space, as well as landlords and tenants in connection with leasing and subsequent lease administrative matters.
Estate Planning and Probate
John represents clients ranging from those who have a modest net worth to those having a net worth of $10 million or more. He often assists clients in developing estate plans at times when there is a significant family change, such as a new baby for a young couple or when there is a death in the family.
For higher net worth clients who are likely to have taxable estates, John helps clients create tax-advantaged estate plans, which can include establishing family trusts, A/B trusts, irrevocable and remainder trusts, and lifetime gifts.
John additionally helps administrators in the probate of a loved one’s estate. In this capacity, John provides counsel and advice to administrators, he prepares court filings, and assists with asset transfers that need to be made (including helping administrators reach agreement with beneficiaries when necessary).
- Represented property owners and tenants in commercial, retail, warehouse and office lease agreements
- Represented national tenant in leasing multiple retail locations
- Represented landowners in negotiating, documenting and closing construction loan and construction documents in excess of $50.0 million for mixed use development
- Represented landowners and buyers in negotiating, documenting and closing complex land transaction in excess of $20.0 million with national REITs
- Author, “Residential Real Estate – New landlords can avert disputes by knowing rules,” PSBJ, 2006
- Co-author, “Estate Planning for the Small Business Owner,” WSBA, 2003
- Author, “Death and the Real Estate Transaction,” Broker Agent Magazine, 2003
- Co-Author, “Estate and Gift Taxes and the Marital Deduction Planning,” WSBA, 2001