Wendy L. Allard
Attorney Wendy Allard’s practice is focused on estate planning, probate, and business counsel and transactions.
Her estate planning practice is devoted to sophisticated estate planning for wealth preservation and efficient asset distribution, much of which is tax driven. By listening to client objectives and understanding the nature of their assets and desires, Wendy develops strategies for clients concerning how to best protect assets, minimize taxes, accomplish desired transfers, and minimize disputes after death. She guides clients through determining whether a trust may be desirable, and if so, the terms and conditions that should be established to best accomplish their asset distribution objectives.
Wendy also helps clients protect their interests and assets through the preparation of living wills and durable powers of attorney for healthcare and personal needs. As many adults now live together in non-traditional arrangements, Wendy helps those who are living together and not married or in a legally-recognized domestic partnership protect their interests (and those of their partner) concerning emergency medical events that may occur during life, and asset distribution upon death. She also assist clients who have loved ones with special needs through the creation of special needs trusts.
Wendy’s probate practice is focused on helping estate administrators comply with their fiduciary duties. She assists administrators with making required filings, paying estate creditors, and distributing assets in accordance with the will or intestate law. She also advises administrators on wide variety of unique issues that arise in the probate process, such as how to distribute large assets to multiple beneficiaries in the absence of specific will provisions.
Wendy additionally advises administrators as to the obligations and possible actions that administrators should take if contentious matters arise. She advises administrators concerning issues subject to TEDRA (Washington’s Trust and Estate Distribution Resolution Act), and how to best protect their interests while fulfilling their legal obligations.
Another area of Wendy’s business practice is devoted to transactions counsel, including company equity investments and “hard money” lending. She advises companies concerning transaction structure and risk minimization, and prepares investment and required documentation, including terms sheets, definitive agreements, subrogation agreements, guarantees, and other supporting documentation. Her business practice also includes advising LLC’s, corporations, and other business entities for these and other purposes.
LL.M., Tax, University of Washington School of Law, 2001
- Research Assistant to Director Meade Emory
J.D., Seattle University School of Law, magna cum laude, 1999
- Executive Editor, Seattle University Law Review
- CALI Awards for Academic Achievement: Criminal Law; Intellectual Property; Trusts and Estates; Gift and Estate Tax
B.A., University of Washington, 1996
- Counsels and assists numerous clients with significant estates in planning and probate matters
- Advises individual and small family business clients on estate planning and business succession planning
- Assisted in negotiating and closing lending transactions ranging from $2 million to $20 million
- Formation of non-profit organizations
Professional & Civic Involvement:
- Washington Bar Association (Taxation Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Section)
- King County Bar Association (Real Property, Probate, Trust and Taxation Section)
- East King County Bar Association